To be recognised by all stakeholders as the leading organisation representing maritime interests in South Africa on behalf of its membership which will include all professional & respected Ship Owners, Operators & local Agents.
- To promote and protect the interest of our members
- To be an active participant in the development and maintenance of a world class Shipping industry in South Africa
- To collaborate in efforts towards the continuous improvement of shipping standards for mutual benefit of all stakeholders
- To ensure that the Maritime & Shipping Industry is recognised by Government as a very important & integral part of the South African economy
- To ensure that vessel and cargo interests enjoy maximum throughput productivity at all Terminals in South African Ports
The South African Association of Ship Operators and Agents (SAASOA) was formed in 2007 as a merger between the Association of Ships Agents and brokers of Southern Africa (ASABOSA), the Association of Shipping Lines (ASL) and the Container Liner Operators Forum (CLOF). It had become increasingly apparent that these three organizations had been interacting with the same parties with common goals. The opportunity existed therefore to become one voice for the Maritime and Shipping Industry and to concentrate their efforts in order to become more effective.
SAASOA is a full member of the Federation of National Associations of Ship Brokers and Agents (FONASBA). FONASBA is the only organisation representing the global ship agency and ship broking professions to “promote and protect the professions of ship agency and ship broking worldwide”, a task which it undertakes through dialogue with its member associations and its consultative status with International Maritime Organisation (IMO), the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) and the World Customs Organisation (WCO).